Don’t let this simple little Italian Wedding Cookie intimidate you.
They are easy to make and only require a few ingredients. The key to our family’s recipe is the unsalted European butter + a really good vanilla extract.
There is less water content in a European Style butter therefore it has more flavor.
I use this recipe for Bridal Showers, Baby Showers, Christmas Parties, New Years Eve, and I also wrap them up as gifts at Christmas and deliver them to friends and family.
Note: These cookies store well and freeze well.
Servings: About 35 Cookies
1 1/2 Cups of Unsalted European Butter (I like to use Plugra 82% butter fat, awesome for baking!)
3/4 Cup of Confectioners’ Sugar (powder sugar)
1 1/2 Cups of Ground Almonds
5 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
3 Cups of Sifted All Purpose Flour
1/4 Teaspoon of Salt
1/3 Cup of Confectioners’ Sugar for rolling (powder sugar)
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C)
2. Cream the butter in a bowl and gradually add the powder sugar, and salt.
3. Beat until light and fluffy.
4. Add the almonds and vanilla extract and blend.
5. Next add the flour and mix all together.
6. Shape into balls or what ever design you need. I use a spoon scoop out the amount I need to keep it all the same size.
7. Place them on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes.
8. Let them cool and then roll them in the powder sugar and they are done!
Source: Provenzano Family Recipe