- A Classic Tuscan Minestone
This is a traditional Tuscan Minestrone that is perfect in the afternoon or as an evening meal. There are many variations of this soup but this one is my favorite.
Note for children: Mine still prefer not to see every vegetable so I use a hand blender to smooth some of it out for them in a separate bowl. They like to have it over little pastine like Ancini di Pepe.
I like to have this soup with a good dense bread. I use this simple recipe at home for it: Rustic Italian Bread (no bread machine just a fork and a bowl ~ it’s old school).
Both ways we top it off with Parmigiano Cheese and a little olive oil.
When my kids were tiny toddlers they would call this the “Superman Soup”. I used to tell them this soup would make them strong like Superman.
Salt & Pepper to Taste
Hand Blender if you need to blend it for the kids
Parmigiano Grated Cheese
1 cup of dried cannellini beans (or you can use a northern white bean)
3 Yucan Potatoes or Red
1 White Onion
3 Carrots diced
1 Head of Iceberg Lettuce shredded
1 bag of Spinach
6 to 8 cups of Chicken Stock
1 Box of Ancini Pasta (tiny round pasta) or Toasted Bread to serve it over
Optional 1/2 cup of green peas
If you choose to use the Pasta:
1 Box of Ancini di Pepe
Make this while the soup is on simmer via the box instructions
For the Minestrone:
1. Peel and dice the zucchini, carrots, onion and potatoes
2. Tear and shred the lettuce by hand
3. In a large dutch oven or big pot saute the onions with salt (about 3 teaspoons) in about 1/2 cup of Olive Oil
4. After the onions are translucent add the cannellini beans and add 2 cups of chicken stock. Boil for about 10 minutes giving it a stir here and there.
5. Next add the zucchini & carrots and mix together with the onions and beans
6. Add the potatoes and mix together and add 3 more teaspoons of salt
7. Add 2 more cups of chicken stock
8. Then add the lettuce and mix together
9. Add the spinach and mix together
10. Pour 2 to 3 more cups of chicken stock over all the vegetables
11. Bring to a boil and then add the lid on the pot and switch to a simmer for about an hour
12. Continue to watch and stir over the next hour
13. During that time salt and pepper to taste
14. After an hour you can reserve some to blend into a smooth creamy soup for the kids and serve it over the Ancini di Pepe topped with parma cheese
15. For the adults we like to take a baguette and slice it up to toast it in the oven. Then we serve the soup on top of the bread.